March 18, 2021 Italy Travel Update: Coronavirus cases remain high across the globe. Health officials caution that travel increases your chances of getting and spreading the virus. Staying home is the best way to stem transmission. Below is information on what to know if you still plan to travel, last updated on March 18.
We hope Italy is back on many travel itineraries in the near future, for now, you can at least virtually explore the top things to do in the country!
52 Reasons to Visit Italy
Italy has so much to offer. Starting in Sicily and moving all the way up the boot to Milan, there was so much to experience. The culture and history are palpable no matter where you are in the country.
Whether you want to visit the beach towns or soak in all the Roman history, there’s something for everyone when visiting Italy. To follow is a list of 52 Reasons to Visit Italy. This list doesn’t even cover it all! But it definitely covers many favorites.
- See the Colosseum and hear the history behind it.
- Walk along the old streets of the Roman Forum.
- Eat gelato and ice cream in Florence. Daily if possible!
- Throw coins into the Trevi Fountain.
- Take a jumping picture in front of the Arch of Constantine.
- Shop at a roadside fruit stand in Sicily.
- Marvel at the art in the Vatican Museums.
- Hike to the Basilica Cattedrale di S. Bartolomeo in Lipari.
- Stop in Naples for pizza.
- Go to a secluded beach in Lipari – ask for Bubu to take you there.
- Pick up some of the Italian language!
- Go to a wine tasting at a Tuscan winery.
- Ride a Vespa through the countryside.
- Window shop at the designer fashion stores in Milan.
- Explore the roof of the Duomo di Milano.
- Stare at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- Take the chairlift to the top of Mount Solaro in Anacapri for 360-degree stunning views.
- Swim in the Blue Grotto.
- Rent a boat and cruise around the island of Capri.
- Drive your boat under the Faraglioni rock formation and make a wish.
- Buy a genuine Italian leather item from the shops on the Ponte Vecchio.
- Watch a street artist in Florence.
- Take in the views from Ravello.
- Eat on the beachside patio of Le Tre Sorelle in Positano.
- Enjoy live music in the town square of Amalfi.
- Walk through Venice without a map. Get lost! Don’t forget to enjoy some great food in Venice too!
- Drink some authentic Amalfi lemoncello.
- Explore the gardens of Villa San Michele.
- Pay six euros for a delicious Coca-Cola.
- Sip Bellini’s and listen to the quartets in Piazza San Marco.
- Take a gondola ride and befriend your gondolier.
- Make the climb to Monreale.
- Eat fresh Italian cuisine.
- Spot celebrities while visiting Capri.
- Order the cioccolato gelato at Café Ponte Vecchio.
- Explore the ruins of Pompeii.
- Take your picture holding up the Tower of Pisa.
- Splurge on a massage at a fancy Italian spa.
- Brave the crowds on the Rialto Bridge.
- Take expensive pictures with the Gladiators outside the Colosseum, just for the story.
- People watch at the Spanish Steps and Trastevere.
- Explore the Catacombs of Rome.
- Attend an Italian opera.
- Sunbathe under the Tuscan sun.
- Appreciate the architecture of buildings, churches and fountains galore.
- Partake in the Capri nightlife.
- Have an Italian sing to you while on a boat – gondola or not.
- Understand and enjoy a new culture.
- Crash an Italian wedding.
- Be inspired by the cliffside landscapes and how the sky meets the sea seamlessly.
- Take part in Venice’s Carnevale.
- Enjoy the lakes of Milan.
Recommended Travel Resources
- Travel Insurance: World Nomads.
- Transport: AirfareWatchDog and Skyscanner (Best Sites to Research Flight Prices)
- Accommodation: Hotels.com and Orbitz
- Airbnb, Sign up here for a $40 credit.
- Top Hotel Reviews on TripAdvisor
- How to Pack for 2 Weeks in Europe (in one suitcase)
- Cheap Flights to Europe with Condor Airlines
Pin for Later!
Read More About Europe Travel Ideas
- One Perfect Day in Athens
- Spring Break in Europe: 5 Places You Must Visit
- What to Do in Santorini: How To Spend One Perfect Day
Disclosure: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. 52 Perfect Days is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Alexa Meisler is the editorial director of 52 Perfect Days. Born in Paris, France she has since lived in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon. She currently resides in San Diego with her husband and son where they enjoy exploring California and Mexico.
Travel has always been a part of her life; traveling to such places as Morocco, Tangiers and Spain as a young child as well as taking many road trips to Mexico with her grandparents as a young girl. Since then, she has traveled abroad to locations such as Russia, Taiwan and throughout Europe.
Prior to working at 52 Perfect Days she was a freelance travel writer; focusing on family and women’s adventure experiences.