10 Tips to Pack Your Makeup Kit for Travel
For me traveling is all about taking pictures at the diverse locations of the world and looking perfect in them. Of course, I take pictures on the way to post socially and get likes and don’t want to be bullied by the way I look. Dah! I am multiplying my fans, not trolls.
Besides, I know, we all don’t have perfect face shapes, perfect skin types, and specifically on traveling, changed weather affects us the most. Here makeup comes like a blessing in disguise. Therefore, I always keep a check into the things I take for makeup and touchups.
Before packing my bag, I take certain things in mind, I have learned on the way of being a wandering soul. The tips come extremely handy, no matter where I go, reach, and travel.
These are only 10 things to do, and you are done to make a perfect makeup kit for travel.
1. Understanding your skin:
It is a pre-traveling thing and the most essential one when you are up to a journey. Your skin type matters the most in not only keeping you look beautiful on the way, but also helps you maintain the health and freshness of your skin. Of course, you don’t want to enter in your home town with dull-looking skin. For example, I have dry skin, so I do more than required things to keep it conditioned and nourished.
There are three basic skin types and here is what you can pack in your makeup kit for each:
- Combination Skin: havers are the most blessed according to me on earth. You don’t need to put a lot of effort to get things done. All you have to do is keeping your normal moisturizer and night cream with you.
- Dry skin: for this, you need to first drink plenty of water because it is your inner body craving for water and showing signs of dryness on your skin. Secondly, you must keep a good cleanser and moisturizer with you. Moisturizer should be in your handbag, so you can apply it over after each lavatory session.
- Oily skin: oily skin requires you to keep yourself as much as you can from hotness and humidity. Keep yourself from taking so much sweating onto the face because it is the sweat that’s causing the oil. Face cakes and face powders from good brands can work wonders for you. Try to wash your face at each station and do touch-ups with powder.
- Aging skin: it doesn’t mean you have reached an old age but due to some harsh skin routines, oversensitive skin types, and due to overtravel the sun exposure can get the skin dull and looking aging. You need to put a lot of effort in this regard and keep with moisturizes, water intake, sunscreens, and anti-aging creams.
2. Understanding the climate of the place you are going:
Regardless of your skin type, the climate of the place you are traveling to matters the most and ask you to do some alterations in the kit. For example, if you are traveling to Mexico, its temperament is a bit tropical. Hence, people with dry skin can feel relieved there however people with oily skin will have to put a lot of effort.
Here is what you need to carry as per different climates:
- Dry climate Makeup you keep for climate should have moisturizing crumbs in it.
- Temperate climates: such climates don’t need you to put a lot of effort here besides if you are coming from a country having punitive temperate, the skin would feel fresh.
- Cold: People with dry and aging skin types will put huge efforts in the cold places yet oily and combination skin holders can get relief.
- Polar: You need to keep exfoliators for your skin as well as moisturizers.
3. Understanding the current season of the place you are going:
Along with temperament, seasons also matter a lot in selecting things for your makeup kit. If you are traveling in the hot season, you must keep mattifying powders and setting sprays with you to keep the oily sweating free of your face.
- Spring / Autumn: Three lipstick colors in basic shades would be enough as you can intermingle them and create a new color. Autumn is also a moderate season with not much clumsy weather so you can use the same routine for autumns. Remember, brighter is better.
- Winter / Summer: As winter and summer, both are extreme seasons in terms of weather hence one should remain stick to a strict routine of skincare even when you are traveling.
4. Separating your kit into three parts:
Now, you know your skin type, weather conditions, seasons, and the tempers; it is time to start packing things. For this, you will have to make three sperate parts for the makeup you are taking with you.
Here are three parts you will divide your kit in:
Makeup brushes, eyeshadow palette, and some skincare serums, ready to get packed for traveling.
Essentials are those that must have things without which your skin can look dead and dull. You don’t want that so keep the following things in your bag:
- Face cream
- Travel size perfume
- Facial Mist/Spray
- Shampoo & conditioner
Enhancers will be things that you need to enhance your beauty. You can make perfect poses in the pictures without worrying about your face shape and eye size. Here are some enhancers to keep with you:
- Eyeshadow pallet
- Blushes for cheeks
- Lip tints and sticks
- Glowing serums
Stand-ins will be in your pouch or hand carry for makeup touchups from time to time. you will retouch your face before photographs and when you feel it. Here are some makeup stand-ins:
- Matt powder
- Exfoliate sprays
5. Traveling Makeup:
You must understand that it is the same makeup that you use at home however when you go onto traveling, you should keep your kit concise yet complete. Hence, you must buy some traveling makeup here. If you don’t have it, you must not be afraid to buy travel makeup. Travel makeup includes multi-purpose kits. Such as:
My makeup kit essential for traveling:
- Tints that can be used as lipstick, eye shadows, and blush.
- Multifunctional Travel Makeup Pens can be used on eyes, lips, and even on cheeks for contouring.
- Body mists plus deodorants to make you feel fresh.
- Concealers and bronzers to help you with two make up things at one time.
6. Knowing the Quantities:
As you are traveling, you cannot carry bulks with you as these are hard to carry and harder to care, during journeys. Also, you will have limited space so you cannot have big bottles of perfumes and moisturizers with you. Here is what you need to do:
- Understand how much quantity you require for each thing on per day basis.
- Divide it into fifty-two days.
- Take some bottles with you made of good plastic with rightly tightened caps.
According to my estimates, you can use the following parameters to measure your traveling kit essential quantities and bottles, enough for an entire vacation.
- For Foundation 30 ml
- Face cream 50 ml
- Mascara 19 ml
- Perfume 12 ml
- Spray and mists 30 ml
- Hand Sanitizer 15 ml
- Shampoo & conditioner 20 ml each
Try to reusable bottles.
7. Mirror Cheats:
To keep the quantity and luggage low in size and weight, you must do some cheating. As a traveler, think of the things you can find easily anywhere. Avoid filling your luggage with things of this kind. For example, mirrors. You can find mirrors almost everywhere you go. So, you can:
- Try to use mirrors in hotel rooms and lavatories
- Borrow mirrors from your partners.
- Try to find a cellphone cover enriched with mirror
- Use the front camera of your mobile as a mirror if you find nothing
8. Get a Travel Packing organizer Set:
Instead of putting everything in your hand carry and then struggling to find everything is simply not a good idea. The struggle sometimes gets real and end you up with a lot of frustration. Also, it can damage your stuff too. Therefore, instead of using the same bag for your makeup kit, try to find:
- Travel Packing organizer Set.
- A makeup keeping pouch to put into your hand carry.
9. Keep Some Room for Booty:
Booty is the shopping and purchasing you do on the way of traveling. Being a female, I love shopping for makeup and new kits to add into to my collection. Hence, I always keep some room for on the way booty. So, when you are packing your makeup kit for traveling, do not forget to save some space for on the go shopping. I would recommend that instead of keeping a space into your whole luggage, try to keep it exclusively in the makeup bag. Makeup is fragile and can break easily. Of course, you don’t want your expensive makeup from Dubai to reach home damaged.
10. Not Missing Your everyday skincare routine:
All with this I would recommend that you do not miss onto taking those products in your hand carry, that you use on an everyday basis, at home. For example, if you are using some special night cream, or prone to put a mask on face during the day, keep with it.
- Day routine – try to use good sunscreen lotion
- Night routine – cleanse your skin and put a good moisturizer and night cream
- Touch-ups – Keep sprinkling rose water to keep your skin hydrated on the way.
All with this, don’t forget to drink plenty of water.
I love sharing my travel stories accompanied by tips and tactics to make travel journey safe. Whatever I write is sole part of my own experiences. Traveling is in my blood and so far, I have discovered beautiful places like Baku, Dubai, Netherland, Jordan, Sweden, Istanbul, Switzerland, Qatar, and Amsterdam. I love meeting strangers and they have a special place in my diary. You will love reading my expedition stories and can surely relate to them.