Mel, a native New Yorker, went to Erasmus High School, the second oldest high school in America.
That school has some very famous alum such as Barbra Streisand, Jeff Chandler, Barbara Stanwyck to name just a few.
When Mel came to Palm Springs he fell in love with the magic of the city. It has been 36 years since he decided to take a shot at running a hotel and restaurant.
Just as with his high school, Melvyn’s and the Ingleside Inn have seen their share of celebrities and became a magnet for Hollywood elite, U.S. presidents and royalty.
Mel says that Frank Sinatra was awesome but a bit intimidating and that Dinah Shore had a charisma that was indefinable.
When I asked Mel about his favorite Palm Springs places he said “I work seven days and six nights”.
Here are a few of his favorites things to do in the Desert.
1. Visit Gold’s Gym for an early morning one hour workout.
2. Peabody’s he considers his morning office a great place for a cup of coffee and to catch up with ….
3. Visit the Rancho Mirage Library- Mel likes to attend their special events and speaker…..
4. An avid reader and people watcher he says a super place to go is the River complex in Rancho Mirage.
5. Sit outside Starbucks, people watch and enjoy a book on tape.
6. When there is a volleyball game at COD he likes to go and support the team.
7. A very important part of his life for over 20 years is the Angel View Crippled Children’s Foundation.
About 20% of his day is spent on Angel View business.
Mel Haber- a low profile guy who operates from logic has been on 60 Minutes, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and the Travel Channel.
For a real treat visit Melvyn’s for the Sunday jam session, 3:30-7:30. For over 20 years it has been a real happening with entertainers from all over the valley.
Want to experience Melvyn’s yourself? Your are in luck because this month we are giving away a lunch for two! Click here for details how to enter to Win Lunch for Two at Melvyn’s.