There’s something incredibly magical and romantic about Europe in winter. There are so many wonderful European winter getaways to choose from including the numerous towns that offer Advent markets, cruises to see the Northern Lights and river cruises on the Danube and Rhine that visit many of the Christmas markets.
From the fairy-lit cobbled streets and winter markets in towns like Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Basel to the dramatic landscapes and northern lights in Iceland, and cozy cafés that dot every city, it’s truly a wonderful time to beat the crowds and visit Europe
In this post, you’ll some of my favorite winter experiences in Europe including cruises, hotels, snow-dusted medieval cities, and of course Christmas Markets. Here’s what you’ll find in this post:
Recommended Travel Resources
- Travel Insurance: World Nomads.
- Transport: AirfareWatchDog and Skyscanner (Best Sites to Research Flight Prices)
- Accommodation: Hotels.com and Orbitz
- Airbnb, Sign up here for a $40 credit.
- How to Pack for 2 Weeks in Europe (in one suitcase)
- Cheap Flights to Europe with Condor Airlines
- Learn the history of the Christmas Markets
Pin for Later!
Read More About Western Europe
- 7 Free Things to do in Copenhagen
- How to Choose the Best European River Cruise
- Best Barcelona Food Tour: A Sampling of the Gracia Neighborhood
- The 52 Best Things to do in Ireland
Disclosure: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. 52 Perfect Days is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
Alexa Meisler is the editorial director of 52 Perfect Days. Born in Paris, France she has since lived in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Portland, Oregon. She currently resides in San Diego with her husband and son where they enjoy exploring California and Mexico.
Travel has always been a part of her life; traveling to such places as Morocco, Tangiers and Spain as a young child as well as taking many road trips to Mexico with her grandparents as a young girl. Since then, she has traveled abroad to locations such as Russia, Taiwan and throughout Europe.
Prior to working at 52 Perfect Days she was a freelance travel writer; focusing on family and women’s adventure experiences.