This is a sponsored post written by me. All opinions are 100% mine.
Do you ever wish you could travel more often? Traveling can be expensive, but with the right strategy you can bring down the cost. If you can bring down the cost, that means you can take longer trips or travel more often. Try these 9 tips on your next vacation and your wallet will thank you.
9 Ways to Save Money While Traveling in 2018
- Travel off season. Forget summer travel and think about visiting your dream location in April, May, September or October. You can usually find cheaper plane tickets and hotel rooms by traveling off season. You won’t have to deal with large crowds and attractions and many times will be cheaper at this time.
- Rent an apartment or a room. If you are a family and need more than one hotel room, think about renting an apartment or condo. If you are a single or couple, you can also rent a full house/apartment or just a room. It’s often much cheaper to use VRBO, HomeAway or AirBnB than staying at a hotel. If you’re interested in Airbnb and have never used it before, you can use this link to save $40 on your first Airbnb booking.
- Use the Dosh APP & Earn Cash Back! Sign up for Dosh, add the App to your smartphone and connect your credit or debit card. Dosh is a free app that allows you to save money during your travels at shops, restaurants and hotels. The Dosh app is free and one of the best ways to save money on hotels and restaurants when you travel.
- Book a room with a refrigerator and microwave (or kitchen area). Don’t eat three meals a day at restaurants. Skipping a meal or two each day at a restaurant will save a lot of money. Head to the local farmers market or grocery store and prepare breakfast in your room. You can also pack a lunch some days as well as reheat leftovers for an occasional meal.
- Look for free activities. Every city has free things to do. Do a quick search on Google for “Best Free things to do in ___________”. You might be surprised at the amount of great things that you’ll find you can do for free. Also, check with local museums and chamber of commerce for free walking tours.
- Be flexible when flying or go with a Low Cost Carrier. Can you be flexible with the time of day you fly, the number of stops, or your seat selection? Do you mind having a long layover? Check with Google Flights and do broad searches, such as for a full month to find lowest airfare. Look for discount airlines, such as WOW Air if you are flying to Europe.
- Carry snacks & water. I hate spending money on bottled water and always carry a water bottle that I can refill each morning and throughout the day. If you are buying water throughout the day, it could easily add up to $10 or more per person each day. I also, throw a few snacks, such as trail mix, nuts or granola bars into my bag each day.
- Always withdraw money; never exchange. Your bank card will carry the best currency exchange rates, so forgo bringing lots of cash and instead withdraw local currency from the ATM as needed. Be sure to travel with a bank card that reimburses all ATM fees (like Schwab).
- Use Groupon Coupons & Getaways. Groupon is a great money-saving resource that is part of my routine when I am looking for hotels, airfare, excursions and even restaurants. Head to the getaways section and you will find thousands of trips to locations all over the world. You’ll find discounts up to 70% off hotels to tours including hotel and airfare. In the coupons area you will also find deals and coupons for everything from airport parking to airfare as well as hotels and even tours.
This article contains my affiliate link for Dosh. If you click through and sign up for Dosh, it costs you nothing and we may earn a small commission which goes towards running this website.