How to Enter
- Submit an original article up to 1,000 words to firstname.lastname@example.org. All articles should be geared on how to spend a full day, weekend or week focusing on our 2012 theme of Culinary or Wine Tourism.
- Supporting photos in .jpg format (at 72 dpi and at least 600 pixels wide) are strongly encouraged to enhance and represent the experience.
- Include a sidebar of all mentioned locations with web address, phone number and address. Facebook and Twitter URL’s are also appreciated.
- All entries must be your original work, in English, unpublished, and not submitted or accepted elsewhere at the time of submission.
- All submissions must be emailed and attached in Word format or pasted into the body of an e-mail. Please include your full name, complete mailing address and phone number. Please also include your Twitter ID and Facebook URL. Please type “Travel Writing Article Entry” in the subject line of the e-mail and send it to email@example.com. We will do our best to confirm receipt of your submission. If you have not heard back within 10 days please resubmit.
- Please include a 1-5 sentence bio with references to your websites, blogs, books and contact information. Please also forward a headshot for the contributors page. 52PerfectDays.com will publish the top three winners’ entries as well as those selected as runner-ups. Additional articles may be published in our Reader’s Stories section.
1st Prize is a 5 Night Trip to Calistoga, California in Napa Valley Wine Country
3rd Prize is a Website From ZD Design
4th Prize: 10 Runners Up will win a BottleWise Roll Up wine travel case.
Who is Eligible:
The Contest is open to freelance, professional, and aspiring travel writers who are legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia as well as Mexico and Canada and who are 18 years or older at the time of entry. Due to certain state law restrictions, residents of Arizona and Vermont may enter the Competition and compete for recognition but are not eligible to win cash prizes. The Competition is void outside these countries and where prohibited by law.
Dates & Other Important Stuff
The Contest begins March 1, 2012, and all entries must be received by November 31, 2012. 52 Perfect Days will require first-time North American rights for all submissions which are accepted as contest winners and for publication. In addition, 52 Perfect Days will reserve the right to reprint the story in a future publication. The writer may republish the unedited submission as desired after initial publication on 52Perfectdays.com.
The Editing staff of 52Perfectdays.com will judge entries based upon the following criteria:
- Article submission adhering to the theme of Culinary and Wine Tourism
- Focusing on a whole experience. Truly how to spend a perfect day, weekend or week
- Ability to capture the sense of the location and experience
- Ability to engage the reader
Overall quality of writing
Winners will be chosen on or about December 31, 2012 and will be notified by phone, mail, or e-mail by around January 15, 2013 for publication on or about January 31, 2013.
Tell us about your Wine or Culinary travel experience and you could win a Trip to Calistoga (in Napa Valley) with luxury accommodations at the Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, a two night stay at Adobe Guadalupe in Baja Wine Country, a WordPress Website from ZD Design or a BottleWise Roll Up.
Many of our readers are searching for new travel ideas, locations and tours. Travel specifically to visit and tour wineries, cheese caves, olive oil farms and of course great culinary experiences are becoming more and more popular. Trips to beautiful areas throughout the world known for their wines and food always offer an opportunity to tell a great story. Share your adventure with our readers that captures the flavors and experiences your location has to offer for a chance to win one of our great prizes!
We are looking for submissions written by authors who have firsthand knowledge of one of these amazing experiences. Need some ideas? Here are a few articles that just might inspire!
Food – Time Stands Still in Miami
Vino en Mexico? You bet your Grapes!
Portland’s Food Cart Scene
New York’s Best Fall Flavors
San Francisco: Meet MexicoSeven Breweries in 2 Days
Eastside Foodie Exploration in New York
Articles should appeal to those who enjoy travel, food and wine and interested in hearing about out of the ordinary culinary experiences. Whether you want to focus on exploring the restaurants connected to a new food movement like Northwest U.S. or Baja Med Cuisine, share a perfect day touring the lesser known wines of a great wine region, share the flavors of regional cuisine that is off the beaten path or take us on a little known food experience we want to hear your story!
Please offer engaging, descriptive pieces that really share the experience, culture and history of the location and not just a laundry list of things to do and where to go. We want the readers to be so excited reading your piece they’ll make the location of your article their next vacation destination!
We Want: Writers to share in detail how to spend a perfect day, evening, weekend or week focusing on one of the following; Wine or Culinary Tourism. Please provide a well-crafted, proofed and spell checked submission that offers a thought out experience. One question the articles should address is what makes your story unique and worth it for our readers to also want to have this experience. We’ll accept entries for all locations, but keep in mind we still mainly focus on travel within the U.S. & Mexico.
We Don’t Want: Travelogues or diaries. An entry fee. Yep, no entry fee.
Conditions of Participation. By participating, each entrant (i) agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of any sponsors and the Competition judges; (ii) releases and holds harmless Sponsor and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions, and advertising, production and promotion agencies, and their respective employees, officers, directors and agents, from and against any and all liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, liabilities, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including but not limited to attorneys’ fees and expenses, arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with the Competition, the acceptance, possession or use of any prize, or any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy, or the violation of any intellectual property rights. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Competition as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Competition is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Competition, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Competition. Should the Competition be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, judges reserve the right in its sole discretion to either declare winners and award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date, or declare no winners and award no prizes in the Competition. All federal, state, local and municipal laws and regulations apply.